Tuesday, October 7, 2008

First "Big Girl" fit...

So Liane truly is growing up and to demonstrate this she threw a real "big girl" fit! As all you moms know, it was over something small and simple (but to her so very big and upsetting). We were in the kitchen, I was trying to make dinner, and the usual routine followed... she says "up", I pick her up, she wants things on the counter she cannot have, I politly say no and try to redirect, she gets a little upset, I put her down and she protests, but walks off being distracted by something that catches her eye... all went as usual today, execpt for the last part... she didnt walk off today - she threw a fit! Crying, tears, glares that pierced my heart, and even hiding in the corner. I tried to comfort her - hence the pierces- and realized that was not going to help this time - at this point I knew it was a real "big girl" fit. I walked away to let her have some space (she CLEARLY wanted that) and so as to not add fuel to the fire so to speak. She walked over to her Minnie Mouse doll (yes crying the whole time), picked her up and walked back into the kitchen and cried and cried and cried. I felt so badly for her and wanted to comfort her (kinda feeling a little competition with stinkin Minnie!), but I was not at all what she wanted. Finally the crying was getting louder and showing no end to it, so I decided it was time to let Liane have some alone time in her room. I carried her to her room, placed her gently on the floor and with the sweetest most loving voice told her she could come out when she was done crying... of course which was followed by louder crying and her following me out of the room (yet still not wanting ME). I gently placed her back in her room and walked out. She came out again and this time I said "Liane" in my gently stern mommy voice and she immediatly turned around and walked back into her room ( yes still crying loudly and holding Minnie). It was so sad yet funny too.... she was milkin this fit big time! I let her calm down for a bit in her room and when I walked back in she was holding Minnie (of course) in the corner between her closet and little play kitchen. I just walked in and sat in the rocking chair at the opposite side of the room and she kinda hid from me (she wasnt ready for me yet I guess). After a moment she finally calmed down and we were able to hug and make peace. We moved on and played for a bit. She was all smiles and laughes after that.

Ok so why did I have to write all of that?? Well I wanted to document for my own records her first real fit, but also to point out some lessons...

Gotta love children - so much we can learn from them! Sometimes we all need a good cry, a good fit! I didnt take it personally, I know Liane adores me and she knows I adore her. She needed space and I respected that - with also letting her know that she needed to have some alone time to calm down - I wasnt going to sit and watch her "show".

How quickly they move on and forget... this is one thing children do SO well and we can all stand to take pointers from them! Forgiveness... they have it down. At what point do they (we) learn to hold grudges?? I hope I can teach Liane to always be forgiving and loving and move on from tension or problems... she will be happier in the end and certainly more Christ-like.

Oh boy, it was hard to watch Liane be so upset... I wanted to run and comfort her and this was the first time she didnt want me. I passed my first "Im really mad at mommy" fit... I know there will be MANY more of those and I hope they pass as quickly. :-)

3 comments:

Erin said...

So cute! I love that you shared that experience. She's so young but obviously super smart. And I think you handled the situation really well.

Brad and Mo Petersen said...

Oh Dang! That one had me chuckling! Not to laugh at your pain it's just that I could picture it and I KNOW I've got it coming in not too many monthes.

Pamela said...

Ooh I'm sorry! She's developing her personality.