Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering September 11, 2001

All day I have been thinking about it... where I was, what I saw and how I felt on September 11, 2001. I was a teacher at Plumfield Preschool in Santa Ana CA at the time. It was in the morning and I had just gotten out of the shower and was brushing my hair. As usual in the mornings, I had the TV on in my room in Fountain Valley CA - I was still living at home at this time. I was brushing my hair and I could hear the news anchors talking about something that had happened in New York to one of the Twin Towers. I came out of the bathroom to see what it was and I saw the first tower smoking. As I was watching and listening to the anchors contemplate what had caused this (no one knew at this time exactly what happened) I saw a plane come across the TV screen and slam into the second tower. My jaw hit the floor and chills came over my body for I and I think everyone knew this was no longer an "accident". Shocked, horrified and scarred I ran out to tell my family who was also watching in horror. I remember leaving for work feeling a stranger eariness wondering "what next?". This cant happen to the USA! At work it was all we could talk about all day with co-workers and parents. I remember some parents keeping their kids home from school that day and one mom in particular who had brought her kids to school came to pick them up early and just held them for a while when she saw them. I felt her pain and worry, but now as a mother myself I get it even more. I would have run to see my children too and just hold them in my arms to know they are safe and sound.

My heart went out to and still goes out to all those who lost their lives and to their loved ones left behind. I thank God I live in this country and for the freedoms I enjoy because of it. I am so very thankful to those who serve our country bravely and proudly and for the families who have to sacrifice to let their loved ones go to battle for our freedoms that we take so for granted.

9-11 will forever be remembered and for me it will always make me grateful for my blessings and the peace that I do enjoy because of the sacrifice of others. Thank you!

No comments: